Sarah Shumanski

Gender Studies Undergraduate Student at the University of Victoria

personal interests/skills

Creation

As a child I always dreamed of being an artist. As I grew older and became more aware of the realities of the world, and learned social ideas surrounding productivity and perfectionism, I lost my ability to create without extreme anxiety. Over the last year I have started on the journey of reclaiming my creativity and love of art, and it has allowed me to grow as a person and discover myself all over again! Not only have I been able to nurture my creative side, but it has allowed me to work on my anxiety surrounding failure and imperfection in my work.

The above pieces I believe showcase this personal transformation well. The vision board on the left allowed me to exercise my new(re)found creative skills while thinking of my future and thinking of who I want to grow into. The piece on the right was an exercise in creating without overthinking, painting and drawing without anxiety. This was further tested when mistakes were made, and I have since learned to love them!

Nail Polish

I find nail art another creative outlet, a way to relax, and a way to make me feel good about myself. A short term goal (relative to a career in education) is to become a licensed nail technician, to be able to share my love of miniature art with others. It would also allow me to keep up my skills of connecting with others and forming trusting relationships, while also doing something I enjoy!

© 2024 Sarah Shumanski