Sarah Shumanski

Gender Studies Undergraduate Student at the University of Victoria

degree related skills

Indigenous Studies – Colonial Audit

In my Introduction to Indigenous Studies course at the University of Victoria we were required to provide a colonial audit of an institution, business, or other experience in our lives. I chose to audit a previous institution I attended, and it was really eye opening. While there were aspects of the program that made me question their self-awareness of operating a school on (and taking advantage of) native lands during my attendance, the research I put into the audit really showcased that lack of awareness. I hope to continue using the skills acquired during this assignment in my future education and employment.

Gender Studies – Medical Bias and History

While attending Camosun College I took a course on Canadian Women’s History, and for my final paper researched examples of medical bias in the Victorian Era – specifically the procedure of removing ovaries to cure other ailments. Looking back, if I had the time and page allowance, I would love to have included more information based on race and socioeconomic standing in relation to medical bias, but I still believe it is a solid start to research on the subject, and is work that I am proud of.

© 2024 Sarah Shumanski